Blaine Amendment Up for Repeal
Find out how Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi helped ensure that voters in Florida will have a chance this November to amend the state’s constitution to prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion in the distribution of government funds.
The ballot initiative would repeal the state’s Blaine Amendment, which prohibits the use of public funds to aid any religious institution directly or indirectly. Because similar amendments appear in state constitutions across the country, the initiative could carry significant consequences well beyond Florida’s borders.
This month’s CAPE Outlook, available here for download as a free PDF document, provides the whole story, along with a brief history of the Blaine Amendment and its roots in anti-Catholic prejudice.
- Also in the January Outlook:
- Top Private Ed Events of 2011
- New Guidance on ESEA Flexibility
- President Signs Spending Bill
- Tribute to Philanthropist Joe Robert
- Report on School Choice by the Institute for Justice
- And much more